Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A stunned silence..................

H 5-speed gearbox + reverse, the 1600 Volkswag...Image via Wikipedia
When I found out what the problem with the gearbox is. It's the gearbox!
The garage have inspected and detected and concluded that the main shaft in the auto gearbox has sheared. This means a new or new to me gearbox. "OK", I said, "How Much?" He was very kind, he warned me in advance so I could take a deep breath. "Two and a half thousand quid!!!!!!!!!!!!" After I had vaguely recovered, he suggested a rebuild might be more appropriate, cost wise. I agreed and went in search of my options.
I found a local transmission engineering company and they will do the whole job for seventeen hundred quid. A much better price but still leaves me resembling a stunned haddock. The major up side is that I get a twelve month guarantee and it should only take about four days to effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment